I love a good About Me page. I love to know what makes people tick.
So let’s start with the fun stuff.
- I love to laugh.
- Outside in summer + by my fireplace in winter = happiness.
- I believe in crazy good self-care, the healing power of dark chocolate, telling the truth, and showing up 100%.
- I’m highly intuitive and a highly sensitive person.
- I also believe that it’s OK to love all of yourself, all of the time ( yes, even then).
I come from a long line of women healers. My mother is a nurse. My maternal great-grandmother healed with sewing and music and was known to wrap a towel around her head and tell fortunes.
For the first part of my life, however, I did anything BUT act like a healer.
I was a shy middle child born into a Irish-Scottish middle-class family, just east of Manhattan. Not only was I shy, but I was also picked up the emotions of the people and environments around me … like a human lint-brush. I had no idea what to do with this until later. I began writing stories, plays and poems. It gave me a safe perch to watch the world.
After college, I become a journalist at a daily newspaper in upstate New York. Meanwhile, I didn’t like myself. I was plagued by feelings of doubt and inadequacy, and I didn’t seem to fit in the world. I had no clue how to deal with these feelings, but I tried all the usual stuff to cover it up and self-medicate. Before long, I came down with a severe bout of Repetitive Strain Injury. It side-lined my writing career and brought my life to a complete halt. I lost my job, my house, and my independence. I moved back in with my parents, who had relocated even further east to the North Fork of Long Island … about a mile from where my great-grandmother lived and where I spent summers as a child. It was a dark, depressing time. Seriously. Many days, I did not think I’d survive.
It was there that I slowly began to heal. While I worked on healing my body, I also learned how to heal my relationship with myself. I began to understand my sensitivity and how to work with it. I walked for hours on the North Fork’s beaches, farms and woods, while I slowly began to re-imagine my future. With help, I went back to school for a graduate degree in social work, so that I could step into my lineage as a healer.
Today, I work with smart and sensitive women to help them heal and have lives they love.
And the professional highlights . . .
I have helped hundreds of women, ages 5 to 75, heal from the aftermath of trauma, such as sexual abuse, physical abuse, death of a loved one, complications from giving birth, accidents … just to name a few.
- Undergraduate and Graduate degrees from the State University of New York.
- Licensed clinical social worker in both New Jersey and New York.
- Certified in EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing), 2006.
- Post-graduate certificate in Child Maltreatment from the New Jersey Child Abuse Training Institute, 2007.
- Yoga Teacher, 200-hour level, Kripalu, 2000.
- Bach Flower Essences, Level 1 Certification, 2014.
In addition, I’ve studied:
- Art therapy
- Chakras and the energy body
- Intuition development
- Tarot Card reading
- Akashic Records
- Essential Oils
- Whole organic foods/diet
I love to combine traditional healing tools with alternative stuff. I am always developing and learning the best ways to help my clients.
Another healing tool I use is dog therapy. Ria (below) is an adult female mixed breed dog that I adopted from Horsecreek Farm and Wildlife Sanctuary in Tennessee in 2011. Click here to read about Horsecreek Farm.
Ria is a graduate of the Make Sit Happen training in Hillsborough, NJ (highly recommended).
Ria’s duties are:
- Greeting you at the top of the stairs.
- Inviting you to play with her.
- Providing emotional support through unconditional love and curling up next to you on the couch.
For more on the benefits of dog therapy, click here.
Ready to work together?
I work with clients 2 ways:
- In person at my office in Somerville, New Jersey.
- On video Skype from anywhere in the world.
Click here to book your appointment, using my handy on-line system.
You can also get my newsletter. Every few weeks, I share my best tips, tools and news. To thank you for signing up, you’ll receive The Little Super Soothing Companion, my e-book that contains 6 do-it-now tools for calming thoughts, feelings and body sensations when you need it. Fill in your info below to sign up.