I love a good About Me page. If you’re like me, you want to know what makes people tick.
So let’s start with the fun stuff ( … but scroll down if credentials are your thing).
- I love to laugh.
- Outside in summer + by my fireplace in winter = happiness.
- I believe in crazy good self-care, the healing powers of dark chocolate, telling the truth, and showing up 100%.
- I’m highly intuitive and a highly sensitive person.
- I also believe that it’s OK to love all of yourself, all of the time ( …yes, even then).
I come from a long line of women healers. My mother is a nurse. My maternal great-grandmother healed with sewing and music … and was known to wrap a towel around her head and tell fortunes.
For the first part of my life, however, I did anything BUT act like a healer.
I was a shy middle child born into a Irish-Scottish middle-class family, just east of Manhattan. Not only was I shy, but I was also picked up the emotions of the people and environments around me … like a human lint-brush. I had no idea what to do with this until later. I began writing stories, plays and poems. It gave me a safe perch to watch the world.
After college, I become a journalist at a daily newspaper in upstate New York. Meanwhile, I didn’t like myself. I was plagued by feelings of doubt and inadequacy. I had no clue how to deal with it, though I tried all the usual stuff to cover it up and self-medicate. Before long, I came down with a severe bout of Repetitive Strain Injury. It side-lined my writing career and brought my life to abrupt and total halt. I lost my job, my house, and my independence. I moved back in with my parents, who had relocated even further east to the North Fork of Long Island … about a mile from where my great-grandmother lived and where I spent summers as a child. It was a dark, depressing time. Seriously. Many days, I did not think I’d survive.
It was there that I slowly began to heal. While I worked on healing my body, I also learned how to heal my relationship with myself. I began to understand my sensitivity and how to work with it. I resolved the self-doubt and feelings of inadequacy. I walked for hours on the North Fork’s beaches, farms and woods, while I slowly began to re-imagine a future. With help, I went back to school for a graduate degree in social work, so that I could step into my lineage as a healer.
Today, I work with smart and sensitive women to help them heal and have lives they love.
And the professional highlights . . .
I have helped hundreds of women, ages 5 to 75, heal from the aftermath of trauma, such as sexual abuse, physical abuse, death of a loved one, complications from giving birth, accidents … just to name a few.
- Undergraduate and Graduate degrees from the State University of NY.
- Licensed clinical social worker in both NJ and NY.
- Certified in EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing), 2006.
- Post-graduate certificate in Child Maltreatment from the New Jersey Child Abuse Training Institute, 2007.
- Registered yoga teacher (200-hour level), 2000.
- Bach Flower Essences, Level 1 Certification, 2014.
In addition, I’ve studied:
- Art therapy
- Chakras and using this system for healing
- Intuition development
- Tarot Card reading
- Akashic Records
- Essential Oils
- Whole organic foods/diet
I love to combine traditional healing tools with alternative stuff and am constantly developing/learning.
Another healing tool I use is dog therapy. Ria (below) is an adult female mixed breed dog that I adopted from Horsecreek Farm and Wildlife Sanctuary in Tennessee in 2011(click here to read about their great work). She is a graduate of the Make Sit Happen training in Hillsborough, NJ (highly recommended).
Ria’s duties are:
- Greeting you at the top of the stairs.
- Inviting you to play with her.
- Providing emotional support through unconditional love and curling up next to you on the couch.
For more on the benefits of dog therapy, click here.
Ready to work together?
I see clients in person at my office in New Jersey or on video Skype from anywhere in the world. Click here to book your appointment.
You can also get my newsletter. Every few weeks, I share my best tips, tools and news. To thank you for signing up, you’ll receive The Little Super Soothing Companion, my e-book that contains 6 do-it-now tools for calming thoughts, feelings and body sensations when you need it. Fill in your info below to sign up.